As the largest German infrastructure institute for the social sciences, GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences, with its expertise and services, stands ready to support researchers on the basis of the newest scientific methods, high quality data and research information.
The services of GESIS are aligned on the needs of the user. They are based on the basic structure of research projects along a research data cycle. It comprises:
- Information research: portals on data, literature, research projects, conferences, and full texts
- Study planning: Consultation and services for planning and conducting a survey
- Data collection: Consultation and services during the data collection phase
- Data analysis: Support, consultation and data for secondary analysis and reference, analyzing tools
- Archiving and registering: Longterm permanent archiving and registration and provision of data and publications
The infrastructure services are based on own continuing and interdisciplinary research in the three large research areas Survey Methodology, Social Science Research and Applied Computer and Information Science. The results serve to the permanent improvement of what GESIS offers to social science.
One of GESIS’ most important research areas is education research. GESIS is involved in significant German, European, and international projects: Within PIAAC, GESIS is part of the PIAAC Consortium, which is the board responsible for planning and controlling. GESIS is also responsible for the German project management. An enhancement is PIAAC-L, a project that is implemented together with LIfBi and SOEP. It is the first internationally comparable long-term study worldwide for competencies in adulthood. Further selected GESIS projects within the area of educational research are:
- CIDER – College for Interdisciplinary Education Research for the support of talented junior researchers in interdisciplinary context
- Feasibility study for the Baden-Württemberg-Panel to generate progress data on the transfer from education at school and vocational training
- CAMCES – Computer-Assisted Measurement and Coding of Educational Qualifications in surveys to make the internationally greatly varying survey tools for education comparable in survey data.