The increasing digitalization effects numerous challenges in education. Methods and contents of knowledge process are changing.
How could teachers and learners tap the full potential of digital media? How can we broaden the utilization of digital media? And which conditions and competences do users need?
The LERN-Network focuses on a wide range of research projects in the field of digital media in education.
Research themes in the LERN-Network
- Configuration of digital educational resources: Didactical designing (DIPF, IPN, IWM, LIfBi, MI, ZAS), collection and indexing of digital media (GEI), Open Educational Resources (DIPF)
- Digital media in educational settings: Dimensions of lesson planning (GEI, HIB, IPN, IWM, DIPF)
- Impacts on returns of education (DIW, ZEW)
- Digitalisation and vocational education (DIE, GEI, IAB) and requirements on the job market (RWI)
- Professional competencies of teachers: Assessment and modelling (DIE, DIPF, GEI, HIB, IAB, IWM, LIfBi, ZPID), education of teachers and digitalisation in higher education (HIB, IWM, LIN)
- Utilisation of digital media and competencies of learners: Assessment and modelling (DIE, DIPF, GEI, HIB, IAB, IWM, LIfBi, ZPID), cognitive, verbal, and motivational preconditions and context variables (DIPF, HIB, IWM, LIfBi, LIN, ZAS, ZPID)
- Digital collection of educational processes and educational outcomes / Education Data Mining: technology-based assessment, learning analytics, methods of big-data- and machine learning (DIPF, HIB, IQB, LIfBi, RWI)
- The significance of digital media in informal educational settings e.g. citizen science (IWM, IPN)
Research infrastructure in the LERN-Network
- Virtual reality classrooms and Usability-Labs facilitate detailed research. (GEI)
- Representative data sets and panels like the German National Educational Panel Study (NEPS), the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP), or the Programme for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC) give an overview.
- Broad services like the Eduserver (DIPF), the portal e-teaching.org (IWM), the wb-web (DIE), the video-case-lab (DIE), the Open Educational Resources Information Centre (DIPF), gei.digital, the Digital Textbook Library (GEI) or the data base of verbal and written narratives (ZAS) deal with digital education and are research instruments as well.
- Digital lab as The Basement (GEI) and the TüDiLab (IWM) enable the context based testing and research of digital educational media.